Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Internet Math Help

I find that review time for math concepts is a hard time. It is difficult to review in away that the students' interest will be perked and they will actually involve themselves in the review. One thing I have done for math review is to use the website IXL with the projector. I have the students grab a small whiteboard and marker put them into teams. I find the appropriate concept on the website, and we go through the review as a competition. Everyone has to write the answer to each question on his/her individual whiteboard. This helps me to see which students are still struggling. The students don't really get tired of reviewing this way.
Sometimes I will add a little something else to the review like having the team that had all members with the correct answer first gets to shoot baskets with the Nerf basketball to earn extra points. There are so many things that can be done to add interest into what could otherwise be a boring math review.
The URL for the IXL website is: http://www.ixl.com/math/
I hope it helps.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that math review is very important. I have tried various ways and I really like your idea. In my class we sometimes play math baseball. It is a fun review and each student gets to play during the review. You have to keep a good eye out as the umpire for wandering eyes.

    ReplyDelete