Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Chocolate Fractions

A great way to teach fractions is to teach with Hershey's chocolate bars. I like to have the students break their chocolate bars apart and make fractions with the pieces. There are 12 sections in each bar, so it is also a great way to illustrate to the students that the greater the denominator the smaller the piece.
When it comes time to talk about equivalent fractions, I give the students brown paper with a "Hershey's Bar" copied on it. They are given a large piece of white construction paper on which they are to glue pieces of "chocolate" and show equivalent fractions.
The students love this lesson, and it can be used for so many different aspects of fractions.

3 comments:

  1. My goodness. What a great idea! My resource high school students even have a hard time with fractions. I think they would love love love the Hershey's idea. Maybe they would remember the fraction concepts if they do it with chocolate. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I new I liked chocolate for a reason. It is amazing how many students on the high school level struggle with fractions. I think your chocolate idea is one that I could use in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen -
    I think this activity would absolutely work in high school. It could also be used in so many ways. Great idea! I hope it helps you reach those students who just don't get it.
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete