Friday, July 1, 2011

Mystery Walker

As students get older, it gets harder and harder to find ways to keep them walking in straight lines quietly. It has gotten a little easier for me in my class with the help of the "Mystery Walker." I have a cup with slips of paper with each student's name on them by the classroom door. Before we go out into the hall to go to recess or lunch or anywhere else, I secretly choose a name of the person who will be our "Mystery Walker" for that trip down the hall. No one knows who it is, so everyone tries to do their best to walk quietly down the hall with their arms folded. If the "Mystery Walker" is following all our hall habits all the way to our destination, they earn a quarter in class money.
I got this idea from a school magazine. There was also a poem in that magazine that I have typed up and is posted right by my "Mystery Walker" cup with names. This serves as a reminder to the students as to what I am looking for as they go down the hall. The poem goes like this:

Who Will Be the Mystery Walker?

I'm choosing someone in my head
To see if you face straight ahead.

Are your hands down by your side?
Do you walk with a quiet stride?

Is your voice off as you walk,
Not a bit of any talk?

If I see the answer's yes,
A special prize for your success.

This works like a charm!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this idea! I also teach third grade, and sometimes they can get a little silly in the hallway. I really like how it focuses on the positive. It’s so easy to get caught up on the negative behaviors we see in our students, when we should really be praising them for all the wonderful things they are learning and doing on a consistent basis. I have noticed when I am worn out, tired, or experiencing the daily stresses of life, I sometimes forget about focusing on the positive. However, I always try to remember that sometimes the praises we give children may be some of the only praises they will hear that day or week, it’s sad but true.

    I will definitely keep up with your blog. It’s always refreshing when you learn about a strategy that is working for a teacher. I plan on using your strategy as I start off my new school year. I think it will be a wonderful and welcomed new addition to my behavior management plan, and I have you to thank for the idea.

    Great blog post! My blog is geared more for teachers and parents, but if you would like to check it out, you can find it at http://www.lobato-bethechange.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying it with my 6th graders this year!

    ReplyDelete